LOVE

By 11:42


“The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing” – Blaise Pascal, and often repeated by one of my closest friends.

Though there have been many quotes that we have shared through the years, whenever we have found ourselves in a “quandary of the heart”, this is the only one that seems to explain the unexplainable.

Thankfully I have a lot of love in my life, I’m in a great relationship now. My kids are sensitive, caring children that show responsibility and love towards each other. My mom is the shining star in my universe. I hope to be half the parent she was and still is.

Though, it’s taken a while to get here.

When my marriage ended close to a decade ago, my children were still toddlers, my ex-husband had battled and won his fight with acute leukemia, but we were left as a family of casualties. We were a young family dealing with life, death and unsurmountable stress.

They say that it’s the hard times that either make us or break us in a relationship but I don’t think it was cancer that gave our relationship that fatal push. Though it did force us to look beneath the surface, and what we both uncovered was a rock solid friendship, but not a marriage.
I know I’m not the only divorced “young woman” out there, or the only woman that needed more than just friendship in a marriage, but I am one of the lucky ones. My ex-husband, who was a friend then is still as much a friend to me now.

To end my marriage, to start a new life, it all required a gigantic leap of faith without a safety net. When I fell in love again, it was much the same, another leap of faith…

And then, there is country music, which is the perfect backdrop to a complicated life and insurmountable love. Now I’m on a path (and I think, like most things in life, it chose me instead of me choosing it) to discover what I love. And I realised that what I love is writing music.

I started writing while in the midst of my most complicated and heartbreaking years. I became quite the expert in translating what was in my heart into song. Frustrations were best left for choruses and making large statements, while verses told the story.


And now I’m telling mine.   

Love, Dayna

You Might Also Like

0 comments